Snowdonia Ground Conditions
This report is completed on a regular basis through the winter months by Snowdonia National Park Wardens and gives indicative information on snow/ice conditions underfoot in the Snowdonia area as a whole.
Remember, mountaineering is an activity with inherent risks, when out on the hills you should be aware of and accept these risks and take responsibility for your own decisions, prepare well and enjoy the adventure!
Walking in the uplands during the winter can require additional equipment and skills and it is important that you are prepared for this in order to enjoy hill walking safely. More details can be found at www.mountainsafe.co.uk.
Latest Report - 17 December 2018 11.00am
Area - SnowdonDate - 17 December 2018
Time - 11.00am
Snow Above - 900mtrs
Report By - Snowdon Warden
- Light dusting of hail or snow.
- Streams and wet areas are frozen.
- Slopes and paths paths covered in hard snow and ice.
- Fresh snow has fallen on isolated patches of ice across the upper areas of the PYG track.
The following is a list of additional kit required based on the current conditions.
- Ice axe and crampons recommended.
- Wear crampon compatible boots.
- Take waterproofs, hat, gloves and spare warm layers.
- Suitable clothing required for winter conditions such as balaclava, goggles, winter gloves / mitts.
Crampons and ice axe required to make travel safer and easier on some sections.