Snowdon - 25 January 2019, 13.00pm
Area - SnowdonDate - 25 January 2019
Time - 13.00pm
Snow Above - 600 metres
Report By - Snowdon Warden
- Depth of snow increases with altitude.
- Snow drifts in areas.
- Paths difficult to follow.
- Cornices unstable overhanging snow forming on cliff edges.
- Slopes and paths paths covered in hard snow and ice.
- Major paths obscured making navigation difficult.
- Saturated and unstable snowpack at higher levels on S/E aspects.
The following is a list of additional kit required based on the current conditions.
- Ice axe and crampons essential.
- Wear crampon compatible boots.
- Ski goggles for strong winds and blowing snow.
- Take waterproofs, hat, gloves and spare warm layers.
- Ability to use a map and compass is essential to safe travel due to limited visibility and snow covering footpaths.
Depth of snow obscuring hidden hazards such as streams and change of terrain.