Filming in the Snowdonia National Park
The landscape, communities and heritage of Snowdonia National Park has been an inspiration for poets, writers, musicians and artists for centuries and continues today as an inspiration for the creative industries.
From rough and rocky landscape, extensive and deserted marshes, tranquil and beautiful lakes and woodland, as well as magnificent rivers and estuaries, the diverse landscape of Snowdonia has something to offer to every eye.
The Authority recognizes the importance of filming projects or photo shoots in Snowdonia. Not only the presence of these industries brings economic benefits to the area, but the final production will raise awareness of the special qualities of Snowdonia within a wide audience.
Unlike many other National Parks in the world, most of the land in Snowdonia National Park is privately owned. If you wish to film or take photos for professional or commercial purposes on private land, you will need to ensure the landowner's permission first.
Tal y Llyn (© Kevin Richardson)
If you wish to film or take photos for professional or commercial purposes in the National Park, these are the steps for you to follow:
Do you know where you want to use?
- You can film on any public land, including public highways. However, if your work entails disturbance in any form to the public highway, make sure that you have the permission of the relevant highway authorities first.
- If you want to use property owned by the Authority eg. one of our car parks to park vehicles, or the summit of Snowdon, you will need the Authority’s permission to do this (More details below).
- If you want to use an area that has been designated for special reasons, eg Site of Special Scientific Interest or a Special Conservation Area, you will need to obtain permission from Natural Resources Wales first.
Are you looking for ideas for locations?
Contact - Arwyn Williams, Wales Screen Commission
Telephone: +44 (0) 300 025 2341
Mobile: +44 (0) 7786 271 680
Do you know which part of the National Park you want to film, but need more information?
Contact - Ioan Gwilym, the Authority’s Corporate Services Communications Officer
Snowdonia National Park Authority
National Park Offices, Penrhyndeudraeth
Gwynedd. LL48 6LF
Telephone: +44 (0) 1766 772 253
Mobile: 07900 267 506
Fees for filming on property owned by the National Pak Authority
- The fee depends on the type of production and broadcaster. Usually, we will charge by the day, and will ask for indemnity if any of our car parks are used.
- If you need a member of our staff on location due to the nature of the production, we will ask for a fee for his/her time. We also require a fee if staff time is used to search and recce a location.
- We kindly ask you to buy locally sourced food when you are here and to take your rubbish home with you.
For any additional information, please contact the Authority’s Corporate Services Communications Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
After your visit to Snowdonia, please keep in touch so we can promote your production on social media!