Capel Curig and Llyn Mymbyr


Affordable Housing

The shortage of affordable housing is a national issue and is one of the greatest challenges facing many communities in Snowdonia.

Affordable housing, Maes y Waen, Penmachno

Affordable housing, Maes y Waen, Penmachno (© SNPA)

So why don’t we build more houses?

The Snowdonia National Park Authority does not build houses nor is it a housing authority.  However, as the Authority responsible for planning in the Snowdonia National Park, we try to make sure new buildings or conversions are of a type needed by people who live and work locally.

We do this through:

What does affordable housing to meet local need mean?

Affordable housing includes social rented, affordable rented and intermediate housing, provided to eligible households in housing need. Proposed occupiers of affordable housing must also satisfy the local person criteria. The definition of ‘housing need’ and ‘local person’ is included on page 75 of the Eryri Local Development Plan.

For an explanation of the Welsh Government definitions of affordable housing that we use, please look at the Welsh Government Technical Advice Note 2: Planning and Affordable Housing.

We use legal agreements, known as Section 106’s, to make sure that houses remain affordable to a local person, not just for the first occupant but for future residents too.

I want to build a new house or development. What do I need to know?

We have prepared a checklist for applicants who intend to submit a planning application for an affordable dwelling to meet local needs.

Checklist for Applicant’s submitting a planning application for Affordable Dwellings.

Other useful documents:

Eryri Local Development Plan: Strategic Policy G: Housing and Development Policy 11: Affordable Housing on Exception Sites (pg 74 – 77)

Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Guidance

A copy of a Section 106 legal agreement can be obtained by the Authority's Legal Department.

Click here for more information about how to get advice before submitting a planning application.

Tai Teg is a register of people interested in homeownership who cannot currently afford to buy on the open market. Follow the link to their website for any queries or to register your details with them.

For further advice you can contact our Planning Officers on 01766 770274 or email