Bala - Lake, River & Town
This is a great leisure path to experience the historic town of Bala and surroundings. Start at the Llyn Tegid foreshore where you can enjoy a relaxing environment by the lake, a perfect place to have a picnic before or after your journey.
The route itself follows the Dee and Tryweryn rivers around towards the eastern side of the town before heading back through the main high street. It’s the perfect walk to enjoy the landscape, nature and a slight urban vibe as you return towards your destination.
*The footpath work between point 6 & 8 on the map was made in partnership with Natural Resourses Wales.
1. Access the tarmac footpath behind the Warden’s Office located at the Llyn Tegid foreshore. There are numerous access points leading up from the car park.
2. Continue alongside the lake shore where you can take advantage of the benches on your right hand side to soak in the views across the lake towards Llanuwchllyn.
3. You will soon come across a Public Right of Way on your left hand side. Keep heading forward along the path bearing right.
4. Keep bearing right whilst passing the rugby fields on your left.
5. Again bear right when you come across the B road and continue for approximately 150 metres until you reach the main road.
6. Carefully cross the road and go through the gate on to the flood bank. Follow the flood bank all the way past where the river Tryweryn joins the river Dyfrdwy.
7. Go through the kissing gate over the road and through the gate on the adjacent side and follow the path to your left.
8. Keep following the path until you reach the gate by the bridge on the main road. Turn left and follow the pavement through Bala town high street.
9. Turn left down Aran Street and walk straight on.
10. At the dead end for vehicles, turn right following the metal fingerpost towards Llyn Tegid.
11. Follow the footpath until you come to a small gate. You can either go through the gate and continue through the field until you reach the lakeshore path, or follow the tarmac path to your left which will also take you to the lakeshore path.
12. After returning to the lakeshore path, turn right and follow back to the Llyn Tegid car park.
Please read our Mountain Safety Advice before venturing out on the mountain.