Farchynys Walk, Dolgellau
Farchynys woodland is owned by the Snowdonia National Park Authority and is situated in a beautiful spot near the river Mawddach.
woodland, you will be able to enjoy stunning views of Cader Idris, of Barmouth bridge and of the area surrounding Dolgellau.
The woodland has a mixture of native woods such as oak and holly that attracts numerous birds like pied flycatchers, tree creepers and nuthatch. So remember to carry your binoculars with you as you stroll along this lovely walk.
How to get there?
On the A496 road from Dolgellau to Barmouth go through the village of Bont-ddu. Once you’ve gone through the village, pass Tyddyn Du Campsite on your left and then look out for two lay-bys on your right. The Farchynys car park is on the left across the road to the second lay-by. You will notice a blue post with a parking symbol on it directing you into the car park. There is a height restriction of 6 foot 6 inches for vehicles. There are picnic tables near the car park.
Distance: 1 mile - 2 km
Time: Around 1 hours
Grade: Moderate Walk
Terrain: Woodland paths and minor roads/tracks. Wear appropriate waterproof footwear
Start/Finish: Farchynys car park, near Bont-ddu (SH 662 186)
Parking: Farchynys car park
Post Code: LL42 1TN
Relevant Map: OS Ordnans Exp OL23 (Cader Idris & Llyn Tegid)
1. From the car park, with your back facing the road, go through the kissing gate on the right hand side of the woods and follow the track.
2. When the path forks, turn right to access the viewpoint. There you will be able to see Barmouth bridge and lovely views of the Mawddach estuary between the oak trees.
3. Retrace your steps from the viewpoint and at the fork, turn right.
4. On reaching a wide track, turn right. As you walk along the track, the marsh on your left gets flooded at high tide.
5. When you’ll reach a gate with a stile beyond it on the right, do not cross the stile. Turn right and follow the fence line up through the woods.
6. When the path forks, turn left.
7. On reaching a fence, turn left to access the viewpoint and admire the stunning views.
8. Retrace your steps from the viewpoint to the fence, turn right and follow the path back down to the gate and stile near the marsh.
9. When you reach the stile, turn left and follow the track. You will be going through two kissing gates before reaching the car park.